Fill out the W-9 according to the steps outlined below. Many investment issuers and sponsors will ask you for a completed W-9.
- In box 1, enter the Name as it is displayed in your Adoption Agreement
- Leave box 2 blank
- In box 3, check "Other (see instructions)" then enter "Retirement Trust"
- In box 4, enter exempt payee code 1 to indicate the account is tax-exempt
- In box 5, enter your primary residence or the address you used when you signed up for your Solo 401(k) plan
- For Part 1 Taxpayer Identification Number, use the EIN of the Solo 401(k) plan
- Sign your name and enter the date. You can add "Trustee" as your title next to your name if you have room.
See an example below.