Fill out the W-9 according to the steps outlined below. Many investment issuers and sponsors will ask you for a completed W-9.
A W-9 is not needed to complete a Solo 401(k) investment, but many compliance, tax, and legal departments of investment issuers require it to be completed as part of their onboarding and take special note of your Self-Directed IRA's tax status and how it might differ from their average taxable clients. When requested, it is best to submit one to make sure your retirement account's tax status is tagged and known by their tax reporting team's records.
- In box 1, enter the Name as it is displayed in your Adoption Agreement
- Leave box 2 blank
- In box 3, check "Other (see instructions)" then enter "Retirement Trust"
- In box 4, enter exempt payee code 1 to indicate the account is tax-exempt
- In box 5, enter your primary residence or the address you used when you signed up for your Solo 401(k) plan
- For Part 1 Taxpayer Identification Number, use the EIN of the Solo 401(k) plan
- Sign your name and enter the date. You can add "Trustee" as your title next to your name if you have room.
See an example below.